Southern Peach Cobbler are a type of deep-dish fruit pie popular in America that has a thick crust (often made of biscuits) and a fruit filling (such as peaches, apples, berries). While some varieties include a crumb or drop-biscuit topping, others are completely enveloped in the crust.
Today, peach cobbler is a traditional dessert served in the Deep South, usually accompanied by a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Here is how to make a fresh Southern Peach Cobbler that you’ll look forward to each summer.
Fresh Peach Cobbler Ingredients
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups fresh peach slices
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Ground cinnamon or nutmeg (optional)
- Melt butter in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- When the dry ingredients are barely moistened, add the milk and whisk briefly before adding the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add batter to butter (do not stir).
- Pour over batter after bringing the remaining 1 cup of sugar, the peach pieces, and the lemon juice to a boil over high heat while continually stirring (do not stir). If desired, add a little cinnamon.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes at 375°F, or until golden brown. Pie can served warm or cold.
Can frozen peaches be used in this cobbler recipe if fresh peaches are not available?
When using frozen peaches in your peach cobbler, there are a few things to keep in mind. If you use frozen peaches instead of fresh, make sure to thaw and drain the fruit first before adding it to the cobbler batter. Moreover frozen fruit will typically release less juice because of its density, resulting in a drier final product.
- Total Fat 18g
- Saturated Fat 11g
- Cholesterol 46mg
- Sodium 400mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99g
- Dietary Fiber 1g
- Total Sugars 73g
- Protein 4g
- Vitamin C 84mg
- Calcium 114mg
- Iron 2mg
- Potassium 146mg
Southern peach cobbler is the perfect dessert for family gatherings, potluck suppers, and late-night sweet tooth cravings. Do give this recipe a try today!
For more delicious recipes to check