French toast is a classic breakfast made with bread slices, egg, milk, cinnamon, vanilla and a sweetener. There are many, fancy variations on this basic recipe. This easy recipe works with many types of bread – white, whole wheat, brioche, cinnamon-raisin, Italian, or French.
The phrase “French Toast” first appeared in print in the Encyclopedia of American Food and Drink in 1871. According to a collection of recipes from the early 5th century AD, the dish we now know as French toast existed as early as the age of the Roman Empire.
In their style of French toast, called Pan Dulce’s, Romans would soak bread in a milk and egg mixture, then fry it in oil or butter.
Is French Toast Really French?
According to folklore, it was presumably Joseph French. He created the dish in 1724, and advertised it as “French Toast” but because he lacked grammar sense and neglected the apostrophe; he advertised it as “French Toast.”
That’s right folks. French Toast is a phony!
French Toast Ingredients:
Prep Time: 5 mins Cook Time: 10 mins Total Time: 15 mins
If you are looking for the top French toast recipe online? you’ve come to the right place.
- ⅔ cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (Optional)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon (Optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 thick slices bread
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, or more as needed
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt.
- Heat a griddle with a little butter over medium-high heat.
- Bread should be covered on both sides with the egg mixture. Transfer to the hot skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until brown. Serve hot with butter and maple syrup.
Nutrition Facts Calories 240
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
How to Store French Toast:
Place any leftover French toast in an airtight container after allowing it to cool fully (such as a zip-top bag or a reusable storage container). For one to three days, keep it in the refrigerator.
This French toast recipe is the best and quickest breakfast you can make in just 15 minutes. You can also make it vegan by using any vegan milk.