One of the most cherished, popular and frequently ordered chicken dishes in Italian-American style restaurants is chicken parmesan, also known as Chicken Parmigiana.
Topped with melting mozzarella cheese, a thick handmade tomato sauce, and a wonderfully crispy coating, chicken parmesan cooked in the oven is quick and easy to prepare.
Look no further if you prefer a crunchy crumb coating than a mushy crumb. Your finest creation to yet!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 4 large eggs, beaten with 2 tablespoons water and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup vegetable oil or pure olive oil
- Tomato Sauce, recipe follows
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, thin sliced
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Fresh basil or parsley leaves, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed with some kosher salt to make a paste
- Two 28-ounce cans plum tomatoes and their juices, pureed in a blender
- One 16-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small bunch Italian parsley
- 1 Cubano chili pepper, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Total Time: 45mins
While this delicious meal may seem frilly, it’s actually pretty easy to make at home.
For The Chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 430°F or 220°C. Set aside a baking dish or oven tray that has been lightly greased with nonstick cooking oil spray.
- In a shallow dish, combine the eggs, garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper. Rotate the chicken in the egg mixture after adding it, coating each fillet completely. For at least 15 minutes, marinate covered with plastic wrap (or overnight night if time allows for a deeper flavor.
- Mix the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and garlic powder in a separate shallow basin before frying the chicken. To evenly coat the chicken, dip it into the breadcrumb mixture.
- Over medium-high heat, warm the oil in a big skillet until it shimmers. Chicken should be fried till golden and crispy (about 4-5 minutes each side).
- Place the chicken on the prepared baking sheet or dish, and then spoon about 1/3 cup of sauce over each breast (sauce recipe below). Add roughly 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese and a few mozzarella slices to the top of each chicken breast. Add some parsley or basil.
- Cook the chicken in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
For The Sauce:
- Heat oil in a medium-sized pot. Fry onion until transparent (about 3 minutes), then add the garlic until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add the tomato puree, salt and pepper to taste, Italian herbs and sugar (If using). Cover with lid to simmer for about 8 minutes, or until sauce has thickened slightly. Add salt and pepper, if needed.
Use both chicken thighs and breasts in this dish.For the ideal dinner, serve with pasta, mashed potatoes, a salad, steamed vegetables, zucchini noodles, or cauliflower rice.
Jump to nutrition facts
- Niacin, phosphorus, selenium, and protein are all present in large proportions in chicken parmesan or parmesan chicken.
- Niacin, often known as vitamin B3, can lower LDL cholesterol and raise HDL cholesterol. Selenium is essential for thyroid health. Niacin and selenium both help to lessen asthma symptoms.
- To create bones and maintain overall bone and dental health, phosphorus is essential.
- Protein levels in chicken parmesan are also high. Additionally, it has a good amount of calcium.