Sure, here’s a classic recipe for chicken fried chicken. It’s a delicious dish that features tender chicken breasts coated in a crispy breading and served with creamy gravy.
For the Chicken:
• 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon paprika
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust for desired spiciness)
• 1/2 cup buttermilk
• 1 large egg
• Vegetable oil for frying
For the Gravy:
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1 cup milk
• Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the Chicken:
• Place each chicken breast between plastic wrap or parchment paper and gently pound them to an even thickness (about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick).
• In a shallow bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and egg.
• In another shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne pepper.
- Coat the Chicken:
• Dip each chicken breast into the buttermilk mixture, allowing any excess to drip off.
• Then, coat the chicken in the seasoned flour mixture, pressing it onto the chicken to adhere.
- Fry the Chicken:
• Heat about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. The oil should reach around 350-375°F (175-190°C).
• Carefully place the breaded chicken breasts into the hot oil. Be cautious not to overcrowd the skillet; you may need to fry them in batches.
• Fry for about 5-7 minutes per side or until the chicken is golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C).
• Remove the fried chicken from the skillet and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Make the Gravy:
• In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
• Add the flour and whisk continuously to create a roux. Cook for about 2 minutes or until it turns a light golden color.
• Gradually whisk in the milk, continuing to cook and stir until the gravy thickens and is smooth. This should take about 5-7 minutes.
• Season the gravy with salt and pepper to taste.
• Place the fried chicken on serving plates and pour the creamy gravy over the top.
• Serve hot with your favorite side dishes, such as mashed potatoes, coleslaw, or biscuits.
Enjoy your homemade chicken fried recipe with creamy gravy!